Taking the plunge


This weekend was paint, paint, paint! Nick finished a little bit of the outside trim, as we ran out of exterior paint the last time we painted outside. And we took the plunge and painted inside!
Ok if you have followed me on our Tiny Digs Instagram you know that I have been wanting to paint the inside for a while. I have been super nervous about the whole thing because once you paint over that wood there is no going back!
When we were talking to the builder he told us that the pine would show throw the paint, all the knots and dark lines. He was heavily against painting, but he also loved the wood look. Part of me had a feeling he just didn't want us to paint over the wood.
Now I had colors all picked out before we moved into the tiny house. But Nick was hesitant to paint. I wanted to paint before we had our stuff moved in, makes it easier. Nick was so hesitant, I just said forget it, we won't paint. Now living in the tiny house, I love, but it feels too cabin. I love cabins, I even had a beach cabin growing up, not a house, a cabin. So I know all about the cabin life and feel. I love cabins, but living in one full time, eh...not my thing.
Priming the Loft
Rough Sample of Paints in the Loft
So as a test I convinced Nick to let me prime and paint the back wall of the storage loft.  No one ever sees it when our stuff is in there and if it looks like crap, who cares, no one can see it. I painted it with two different primers first too see which one worked. It was between Valspar and 123 Primer. Valspar won, we love Valspar, no knots or lines bled through the paint.
Top Color: Sandy Sage for Exterior. 
Now the original paint colors I had chosen before we moved in, one of them ended up being our exterior paint the Sandy Sage from Valspar. Nick ended up not liking any of the others. Now of course this upset me, do you know how long it takes to pick out paint colors? It's a huge decision! So we went back together and picked out three paint colors, all similar but each one slightly different. I painted them roughly upstairs and we waited to see how the primer stuck to the wood and how the paint looked over the primer. We finally agreed on the Madison White, which happened to be on the sample color strip of the Sandy Sage. It has just the slightest sage green tint to it if it hits the light right.

Now because the test upstairs went so well, we went to Lowe's this weekend, got our supplies and headed back to the homestead. Now I knew we weren't going to get it done all in one day because we had all of our stuff in the house. So we moved out stuff out of the bedroom, with a shaky hand and a deep breath I started to prime the walls, first coat it was apparent I needed I second. I also did two coats for the paint as well. Because of this and the time consuming of getting in all those lines, we only got the bedroom done as of now. But man do we love it! It's more of a cottage feel isntead of cabin! Hopefully this next week we can move to the living room and work our way down to the kitchen then hit the lofts. It's a pain working around our stuff but would be much harder to move everything out.
Originally I had three different colors picked out for the "rooms" but now we are just going with one color and going to use Smart Tiles in the kitchen to mix things up. We will be leaving one bedroom wall that has the stairs on it in it's original pine form. That will be our accent wall, we may stain it when all is said and done. We shall see, until then I will keep you updated!


Comments

Popular Posts